Anna Celina Christopher 366
- Born: 3 Mar 1884, Osgoode, Russell, Ontario, Canada 365
- Christened: 12 Apr 1884, South Gloucester, Carleton, Ontario, Canada 48
- Unmarried: John Currie Emo
- Died: 1 Apr 1947, Montréal, Québec, Canada aged 63
- Buried: After 1 Apr 1947, South Gloucester, Carleton, Ontario, Canada
There are a couple of recorded discrepancies for Anna's birth. Her crematory record shows March 30, 1884 in Greely, the 1901 census has it as March 17th. I have not been able to find Anna on the 1911 census. However, the image of the Osgoode, Carleton County birth records clearly show the 3rd of March, and her birth was registered on the 20th of March. The baptism record imaged in the Drouin collection also indicates that she was born on March 3rd, 1884.
Anna was a domestic servant for John Emo and his family. She became involved with him, and had two children by him. She was a proud person though, and refused to accept any charity from John. She raised her children on her own, supporting herself.
Her first child, Catherine, was placed in an orphanage - I have yet to find out where. I'm not sure how long she was there, but Anna did go back to get her.
The following was found on a website:
Anna was employed by John Emo as a domestic in his Ottawa home. Their relationship would span 30 years and their two daughters led an enjoyable family life in their Montreal home.
From John Caron, grandson: John questions the word enjoyable in the above noted comment. Anna and her children lived a tough life. They lived in poverty stricken Verdun in tenemant housing. John remembers travelling the street car to Verdun to visit his grandmother, walking a block and going up to the 3rd floor of the tenemant building. Anna was a proud woman, and refused to accept any charity. The most she would allow from John Emo, was to bring her was the occasional box of chocolates or bottle of whiskey. Even after John's wife, Ida, passed away, John did not live with Anna and their children, although he did continue to visit until he died.
Sponsors: John Stackpole and Elizabeth Startk
Noted events in her life were:
• She had a residence in 1891 in Russell, Ontario, Canada. 23
• She had a residence in 1901 in Osgoode, Russell, Ontario, Canada. 3
• She had a residence on 1 Jun 1921 in 388 Workman, Westmount-St Henri, Montreal, Quebec, Canada. 5 Age: 38
Marital Status: Célibataire;
Relation to Head of House: Chef
• She was cremated Mount Royal Cemetery in Apr 1947 in Montréal, Québec, Canada. 367 Record from Friends of Mount Royal Cemetery - notice the errors:
Anna Christopher nee Emo
Widow of John Christopher
Born: Greely, Ontario (30 March 1884)
Died: 6 April 1947
Aged: 63 years
Late residence: 103 Murray Avenue, Greenfield Park, Quebec
Place of death: Montreal General Hospital, Montreal, Quebec
Remains were cremated
Anna had a relationship with John Currie Emo, son of William John Emo "Black Willie" and Matilda Currie. (John Currie Emo was born on 25 Oct 1864 in Montréal, Québec, Canada,363 died on 16 Feb 1942 in Montréal, Québec, Canada 88 and was buried after 16 Feb 1942 in Montréal, Québec, Canada 88.)