William Thomas Carruthers 8th Laird of Dormont 134
- Born: 31 Jan 1799, Dormont, Dalton, Dumfries, Scotland
- Marriage: Helen MacLachlan in 1820 in Dumfries, Scotland
- Died: 26 Oct 1848, Dormont, Dalton, Dumfries, Scotland aged 49
- Buried: 1848, Dormont, Dalton, Dumfries, Scotland
Monumental Inscription: This is inscribed on a very large headstone on a family plot at Dalton. There are 3 panels with the family crest above. Centre Panel (partial):
To the memory of William Thomas Carruthers, esquire of Dormont and of Arthington Hall, Yorkshire, who died at Dormont on the 26th day of Oct 1848, aged 49 years and 9 months. And of Helen, his widow, daughter of Donald MacLachlan, esquire of MacLachlan, who died at Clifton on the 1st April 1853, aged 36 years and 10 months. And of their grandson, Colonel Francies John Carruthers, C.B. 11th of Dormont, late King's Own Scottish Bordereres, Lord Lieutenant of the County of Dumfries, who died 22nd May 1945 in his 78th year, "Promptus et Fidelis", and of his widow Olive Christian, daughter of A.H. Johnstone-Douglas of Lockerbie, born 22 April 1878, died 11 Jan 1977.
Noted events in his life were:
• He worked as a JP, DL, Scots Grey.
• He was awarded the title of 8th Laird of Dormont in Dormont, Dalton, Dumfries, Scotland about 1802
William married Helen MacLachlan, daughter of Donald MacLachlan and Jean, in 1820 in Dumfries, Scotland. (Helen MacLachlan was born about 1797 in Scotland,2414 died on 1 Apr 1853 in Clifton, Gloucestershire, England and was buried in 1853 in Dormont, Dalton, Dumfries, Scotland.)