Stanley Carruthers 134
- Born: 4 Jul 1902, Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
- Marriage: Kathleen "Kitty" Chipperfield in 1928
- Died: 1946, Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia aged 44
Owned a guest house at Lillypilly near Cronulla. Stanley worked on the Pt Stephen's council. He ran away from home to sea on a square rigger at about 16 yrs. Details given by sister Grace.
At the age of 11 years and 4 months:
11 Nov 1913 - Committed to the Farm Home Mittagong for "uncontrollable truancy" Refer page 38 of the ledger also 17/314 and 14/19407
Administrative History Note On 5 June 1906 in accordance with the provisions of the Neglected Children and Juvenile Offenders Act, 1905 [Act No. 16, 1905] the Farm Home for Boys at Mittagong was proclaimed an Industrial School.(1) The School opened on 17 October 1906 as a Probationary Training Home for boys aged 8 to 17, convicted in the Children's Courts of less serious offences including truanting, being uncontrollable, being neglected and wandering, breaching probation, stealing, and breaking and entering. 81 boys were admitted in the first six months.(2) The Home was situated on land already used as cottage style accommodation for state children who were sick or invalid. (3)
The boys were in the charge of an attendant and matron (usually a married couple). Boys under 14 (and older boys with a low standard of education) attended lower Mittagong Public School. The older boys, under the supervision of the attendant worked on the Farm lands adjacent to the Home cultivating fruit and vegetables, dairying and raising poultry. Most boys stayed at Mittagong for short periods. (4) Boys who were responsive to the program at Mittagong were released on probation to a relative, boarded-out or apprenticed out, (5) and those who showed no evidence of reform were sent to the Farm Home for Boys, Gosford. (6)
In July 1911, 34 boys were transferred to the Home from the Nautical School-Ship the "Sobraon" ceased operations. (7)
The Mittagong Home was divided into cottages with 20 - 30 boys to each cottage. Turner Cottage was set aside for truants. In 1944 Anglewood Special School, Burradoo was established to assist with housing the increasing number of male truants. After May 1946, Anglewood was able to accommodate all truant boys. (8) Special educational programs were provided for intellectually disabled residents. (9)
Pressures of overcrowding elsewhere in the state led to the introduction of the first of the "otherwise unmanageable" boys in 1900. They took over from the old men in running the 'Cottage Farm Home'. This name was changed to 'The Farm Home Mittagong' in 1902. Now for the crippled & feeble minded. Thus the dual roles of Mittagong were established, a role that was to exist until 1976.
Now a rapid growth of Mittagong School started. 1903 saw the building of a tailors shop & provision made for the instruction in dressmaking for older girls. 'Hassel' was opened as a 'Probationary Training Home' in 1906 & the ten years that followed saw the building & opening of Heydon, Goodlet, Renwick, Mackellar & De Lauret.
The Superintendent's cottage was constructed in 1910 & remained in use until 1966 when it was extended to allow for boys to use it. It is now 'Rowe Cottage'
Turner cottage was built in 1915, originally as a cottage for the mentally defective girls, but later used as a hospital cottage until 1930.
Pressures created by the closing of HMS Sobrian, the training ship, ensured an increase in the number of delinquent boys that came to Mittagong. By 1919 there were 11 cottages in use, eight for delinquents, two for dependents and one for mentally defective young boys & girls There were about 230 children resident, some going to school & others involved in training programmes. These programmes included orcharding, dairying, general farming, tailoring, bootmaking, carpentry & poultry & pig farming.
Stanley married Kathleen "Kitty" Chipperfield in 1928. (Kathleen "Kitty" Chipperfield was born in Ireland and died in 1946 in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.)