Mary Carruthers 3200
- Born: 30 Oct 1825, Beck, Dryfesdale, Dumfries, Scotland 3161
- Christened: 21 Nov 1825, St. Mungo, Dumfries, Scotland
- Marriage: Peter Hunter of Greenock on 27 Jul 1852 in Tarbolton, Ayr, Scotland
- Died: 4 Jun 1873, Balmain, New South Wales, Australia aged 47 1748
- Buried: 6 Jun 1873, Balmain, New South Wales, Australia
Cause of her death was exhaustion from alcoholism.
From Ayrshire Researcher:
Mary CARRUTHERS of this parish & Peter HUNTER of Greenock, gave in their proclamation banns in order to marriage and were married on 24-7-1852. Then married by Rev. David Ritchie Minister of Tarbolton on 27-7-1852. Fr: 733
This confirms that the CARRUTHERS were members of a Protestant non-established church. Most likely the births of any children would be in the Registers for that church, if the records still survive. Mary had married in her own church and then married a few days later in the established church in Tarbolton i.e. Church of Scotland.
Noted events in her life were:
• She had a residence in 1851 in Greenock West, Renfrewshire, Scotland. 3161 Age: 25, Relation to Head of House: Servant
Mary married Peter Hunter of Greenock on 27 Jul 1852 in Tarbolton, Ayr, Scotland. (Peter Hunter of Greenock was born in 1824 in Aberdeen, Scotland, died on 8 Oct 1909 in Balmain, New South Wales, Australia and was buried in 1909 in Waverley, New South Wales, Australia.). The cause of his death was senile decay.